Historical and cultural garden
Town of Mont-Dauphin - Programm 2012-2013
The stronghold of Mont-Dauphin, together with 11 other sites, has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since July 7, 2008, for the fortifications of Vauban and as such, has a commitment to preserving and enhancing its heritage including developing a local cultural project. The Mont Dauphin cultural project has the theme of ‘food and supply in a mountain stronghold’.
The project currently underway is the creation of a historical and cultural garden:
- The preservation and cultivation of "Hautes-Alpes" plants and ancient varieties of cereals and pulses (research into diet in the Hautes-Alpes during the 17th and 18th centuries );
- Economic development of the stronghold including baking a ‘Vauban’ loaf of bread, opening a visitor centre all year round with cultural events and activities, and setting up a money-making venture in the future namely a kitchen for preparing produce from the garden.
- Support for the creation of closed loop economy based on cultivating ancient varieties (more varieties of seeds in the garden, teaching local farmers , preparing produce and selling it at the stronghold).
Measures carried out:
- research into diet
- a study for the design and development of the garden
- construction of the garden at the former Rectory (terrassing, cutting down trees, etc.)
- hiring a full-time horticulturist
- refurbishment of part of the former Campana barracks (accommodation, workshop, soldier’s room and cultural visitor’s centre)
- test of recultivating an ancient variety of rye from the Queyras and making it into bread
Investment: 47 581 € HT
- FEDER : 19 032 €
- Région PACA : 19 032 €
- Self-financing: 9 517 €
Functioning : 136 308 € TTC
- FEDER : 68 154 €
- Région PACA : 38 046 €
- Self-financing: 30 108 €